The $8000 Vintage Flamenco guitar that many people felt was a write-off is finished. It was never going to be perfect but I’m happy with it. There is no filler (bog) in it only lots & lots of pieces of timber & a massive amount of various glues. The major challenge was that the timber was so dry it turned to powder when I was working with it. The guitar has now been re-hydrated & the timber is no longer dry.
It was a little bit of work each day for about 3 months & most of it was a labour of love because I’m only charging the customer 25% of what the price should have been, but it was an interesting challenge & a learning curve.
The side had to be dark to conceal the damage.
A couple of years ago I developed a method of re-setting a guitar neck for free using steam. Here is a lovely email I have just received from Wales.
Here is a link to the very rough video
Wyn Edwards <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Tue, Aug 25, 10:20 PM (20 hours ago)
Thought you would like to know that I tried resetting the neck on my Takamine guitar having seen your steam method on YouTube. I was told by the so called experts that a Takamine neck is difficult to take off and reset due to the use of epoxy glue and that I would have to get the neck sawn off and a bolt on conversion carried out!! and cost approx £700 Sterling as I am in the United Kingdom! well, your method worked perfectly!!! but I have to admit that I could’nt wait 3 weeks so after a week and a half I took the clamps off!!!! and it’s now been 2 months and the neck is still perfect!!!!!
Just like to give you a big thanks!!!!!!!
Wyn Edwards, Wales,UK